Fringe Festival is an open access multidisciplinary arts festival committed to developing new voices in the Nigerian creative industry and so far has presented over 150 shows and 350 artistes combined. The festival primarily uses non –theatrical, unconventional spaces to increase the reach and access to theatre to communities and audiences with limited access to arts and culture as well as for artists to be able to present their work with limited resources.
This initiative follows Nigeria’s goal and policy to strengthen human capital to promote inclusive economic growth and development via entrepreneurship, women’s empowerment, youth engagement, and cultural exchange.
Now in its 3rd year and in light of the recent pandemic, we will be presenting a robust programming for both online/virtual and live interactions with social distancing measures in place. The dates for the festival are Tuesday 17- Sunday 22, November 2020. Call outs for participation have started.
Lagos Fringe will deliver this project through;
- Showcasing and wrap-around activities–Lagos Fringe will support artistes to present a creative mix of theatre, poetry, film, spoken word, magic, cabaret shows, exhibitions, literature, dance and music etc.
- Artistes Mix and Networking
- Co creation activities
- International exchange
- Live streaming of training and shows (locally and internationally)
- Professional Development– There will be opportunities for a 5day development training that willfocus on learning through a series of conversations, workshops and networking events with established facilitators from the US, UK, Germany, Belgium, South Africa and Nigeria. Certificates of Participation will be presented by sponsors and the Advisory Board.
- Development in creative entrepreneurship for 30 Women in the Arts.
- Online Dramaturgical Lab with 5 theatre makers.
- Creative Business and Entrepreneurship Clinic for aspiring creative entrepreneurs and professionals between the ages of 16-35.
- Lagos Fringe Awards –Lagos Fringe presents awards of merit to deserving members of the creative community and to the best shows during the festival week.
Lagos Fringe is inspired by the need to;
- Improve the livelihood of artistes in Nigeria.
- Professional Artistes; 16-35, 35-60
- Amateur Artistes; 16-35
- Aspiring Artistes; 16-35
- Student Artistes; 16-35
- Children; 7-10, 11-15
- General Public
- International Community
“Our overall objective for hosting this year’s festival in the light of the pandemic is to send a positive message to the creative industry and artists communities that while Covid19 is still very much around and social distancing will be here for some time too, we have to devise very practical ways to still earn our living by adapting to our new realities. All our festival events will be presented with health and safety protocols intact”. – Festival Director, Kenneth Uphopho.
|Health & Safety Protocols At The Live Venues
Food & Beverage
These safety protocols will be implemented whether or not the restriction recommendations by the government are still in place at the time for the festival.
FRINGE CITY– Friday 20-Sunday 22
Lagos Fringe Festival flagship rollercoaster event will bring the family together for 3 days of fun in one of the largest outdoor family festivals in Nigeria. With over 40 exhibitors, production companies and partners, Fringe City will showcase extraordinary exhibitions in theatre, food, dance, film, photography, arts, crafts, music, literature and comics.
This event is a combination of three sub festivals which includes; Street Food Fiesta, Jazz & Poetry fiesta and the Lagos Literature festival.
There will be vendors showcasing delicious dishes and tasty treats. Audiences will learn some cooking tips and experience live cooking demonstrations with the vibrant sounds of jazz, pop music &very good theatre performancesbringing the hub to life. Fringe City will hold at the main festival hub from Friday 20 – Saturday 21 November 2020.
FRINGE KIDS- Saturday 21 – Sunday 22
Fringe Kids will run alongside Fringe City on Saturday and Sunday as a special treat for children. Local dance and music groups will take to the stage while kids are entertained. This will be followed by games and activities to encourage physical activity for the kids. There will also be a special movie screening.
WOMEN’S DAY @ THE FRINGE- Thursday 19
Women’s day at the Fringe will highlight positive outcomes for women in the creative industry. All activities curated, produced, featured and directed by women. Some of the activities include; music, film, panel discussions with Women in the Arts, Theatre and exhibitions.
ALTERNATIVE MUSIC CONCERT @ THE FRINGE-Friday 20
Alternative Music Concert will be an evening of dazzling fiesta of fun, colour, lights and life featuring artists with attendees at the festival Hub. This concert will run alongside the fringe city on Friday and will be followed by a brilliant fireworks display to top off the night, ensuring we are in the mood for the holiday season.
FRINGE THEATRE & FILM SCREENINGS -Tuesday 17- Sunday 22
Lagos will experience breath taking theatre performances and co creation pieces from professionals all over the world. Classic plays and experimental work will also be on display throughout the 6-day period. There will be short film screenings, feedback sessions where film makers will be on ground to engage with the audience to share their process and motivations.
Follow our vibrant social media pages @lagosfringe to keep up as we count down to the Fringe!